I absolute love bolognese however I often felt sluggish and heavy after eating the traditional non-vegan version with red meat. Since I have changed my diet and eating habits by swapping some of the ingredients and cutting out certain items, this feeling has disappeared and I feel much better overall.
We are all different and this might not be the case with you, but you should always listen to your body and adjust your eating habits based on the signals your body is sending you. Vegan and plant-based diet is not for everyone, so please consider this recipe as an adventure – a new and innovative way of making our favourite spaghetti bolognese.
Why lentils? The superfood we are not using enough.
- Lentils are a plentiful source of folic acid, potassium and fiber
- They are highly nutritious
- They are supporting digestion and heart health
- They are rich in minerals and protein
This healthy, comforting and yummy recipe is perfect on a rainy & summery day like today here in the UK. 🌧
Enjoy and follow me on Instagram for more food inspiration: @slowlivinguide✨
Puy lentils (250 g – you can use pre-cooked ones from Gourmet Marchant if you would like to save some time or in a rush!)
Fresh homegrown basil
Vegan bolognese sauce (I love the Sacla Italia Vegan Bolognese Sauce – you can re-use the glass jar it comes with) or plain organic tomato sauce (250 g)
Spaghetti (250 g)
- Put 2 tablespoons of coconut oil into a large, high-sided sauté pan and place on a medium high heat.
- Add the garlic, finely chopped carrot, onion and a pinch of salt and pepper
- Fry for 8-10 minutes (stirring often)
- Add the lentils (red, green, puy (type of green lentil) and let this sauce simmer to perfection in about 45 minutes
- If you choose to use the pre-cooked lentils 20 minutes should be enough for the sauce
- Cook the spaghetti
- Pick some toppings: I’ve picked some fresh homegrown basil from our basil nursery because I like my dish very simple, but you can use some Vegan parmesan or any kind of cheese based on your personal preferences
- Ready to serve!
The results: I’m super pleased with the results: a delicious vegan bolognese anyone would be happy to eat!